‘Murder in Motley’ was a 3 Act Play with, according to the programme, ‘the action taking place in the Drawing Room of Aston House; the home of Sir William Ainslie.
The first part of the programme shows an initial cast list with a note advising the audience that in order ‘to enhance your enjoyment of this play PLEASE DO NOT BREAK THE SEAL until the first interval’ – so presumably the following page was in some way taped down with the intention of not being immediately available to read?
The following page – which we will assume was dutifully opened by 100% of the audience only at the end of Act One, reveals a further cast list.
Both cast lists are noted below – with the hope that one of their number will remember the reasons for the above instructions. No rewards are available for the answer – but it would be an interesting addition to make to the record of this particular play!
Click on images to enlarge, scroll and see captions
All the photographs of ‘Murder in Motley’ are copyrighted to CMMF/Markhouse Drama Club. As the second and third photographs show Iris, who was Stage Manager in this production, this suggests that these were taken at a rehearsal?
- Collette – Adele Bernard
- Sir William Ainslie – John Cade
- Lady Mary Ainslie – Penelope Mallins
- Denis Steele – Richard Stewart
- Lottie (The Cook) – Mary Briggs
- Jenson (The Butler) – John Rogers
- Fraser – Ken Mayes
- The Understudy – Lillian Mills
- Joseph Lewison – Barry Elliott
- Doctor Congreve – Keith Elliott
- Police Sergeant Fowler – Michael Everett
- Police Constable Grant – James Braid
- Police Woman Jackson – Elaine Elliott
- Police Woman Ferguson – Brenda Chapman
- Miss Driver – Enid Moorshack
- Adele Bernard – Valerie Poore
- James O’Bryan – Gerald Aylott
- Herbert Walker – Alec Malyon
- Doctor Hudson – Richard Dunn
Stage Management, Lighting & Make Up
- Iris Moorshack , Fred Page, David Morgan, David King, Gordon Aylott,
- Jeffrey Baker, Jennifer Todd, Richard Dunn, Bernard Page & Brenda Chapman