This was the Drama Club’s second production of one of the all time favourite pantomimes – ‘Babes in the Woods’ – with, as it appears from the number of names shown in the programme, to have had perhaps the largest cast since the joint School and Drama Club production of ‘Alice in Wonderland’ in 1964. All the usual characters are there – Maid Marian, Robin Hood, The Sheriff of Nottingham and, of course, the traditional Dame – Nurse Nappy!
Fortunately – a few photographs have been rescued from an attic or two – as shown here
Click images to enlarge, see captions & scroll
All the photographs of ‘Babes in the Woods’ are copyrighted to CMMF/Markhouse Drama Club.
Walthamstow Guardian Newspaper Report
And – To quote – ‘a HOME MADE Pantomime’
“As a result of the first ‘excursion’ to delve into the archives of the Walthamstow Guardian at The British Library, their report for this pantomime has just been been found – and is reproduced here – complete with the ‘all telling’ opinion quoted above – which is obviously correct!!!!
‘A JOLLY ROMP’
At Marsh Street Youth Theatre Club we experienced their annual home made pantomime – this time ‘Babes in the Woods’ – a Romp for Kiddies!!!!
Denis Heath as the Dame, Nurse Nappy, did his very best and was abetted by Peter Lee and John Payne as the knock about men. The large cast enjoyed themselves to the full and with some fine lighting and excellent settings to back that up, it was just a pity the continuity let them down at times. Elaine Mason gave a speciality dance and showed off great credit to her trainer – Mrs L Hyms. A good deal of care and hard work had gone into the making of the costumes and scenery.
Produced by Cyril Malyon & Directed by D Carroll”
Copied from the British Library Archives – Walthamstow Guardian. 22 December 1972
- Sally – Angela Payne
- Billy – Bob Jackson
- Petulia Postlethwaite – Merrill Emms
- The Baron – Peter Boulton
- Maid Marian – Jane Halliday
- Nurse Nora – Denis Heath
- Harry – Peter Lee
- Humphrey – John Payne
- Jack – Andrew Malyon
- Jill – Dawn Vessey
- Bill – Jacques Nimki
- Ben – Nigel Bedford
- Sherriff – Alec Malyon
- Will Scarlett – Jill Hayden
- Alan a Dale – Lesley Morris
- Robin Hood – Anne Hayden
- Friar Tuck – John Cade
- Bluebird – Michelle Hayden
- A Stranger – Michael Boyers
- Village Girls – Linda Gosnell, Lesley Hart, Debra Barnicoat, Margaret Taylor
- Village Boys – Bernadette Tyndale, Teri Millard, Susan Hayden, Emyleen Bell
- The Children – Carol Bower, Susan Hayden, Christine Bower, Michelle Hayden, Lesley Gosnell, Julie Raynor
- Dancer – Elaine Mason
Stage & House Management, Properties, Lighting, Costumes, Dance & Music
- Daphne Carroll, Ian Howard, Martin Williams, Len Powell, Lee Alviston, Ian Hall, Bill Chapman, John Taylor,
- Stephen Todd, June Allitt, Margaret Lee, Brenda Long, Betty Lee, Lyn Welland, Joyce Welland, Gordon Aylott
- Hilary Malyon, Anne Haydon & Richard Dunn
Produced By Cyril Malyon