New – Production information and Cast List added!
The Author, Angela Ainley Jeans, describes ‘Listen to The Wind’ as a ‘Play for Children and Grown Ups’ – with the story beginning and ending in the the Parlour of a large country house in East Anglia – via a series of adventures through other parts of the house, a Gypsy Camp, an Island, The Palace of the Wind Kingdom, a Seashore and the Cavern of Black Thunder Cloud!
The script notes show that ‘Listen to the Wind’ was produced at The Arts Theatre Club, London, on the 16th December 1955 with the cast including, among others, a ‘Ronald Barker’ (who may have become ‘Ronnie Barker’ ?) and Miriam Karlin – who went on the play one of the starring roles in ‘The Rag Trade’ – a very popular comedy of its time starring Reg Varney
The MDC programme notes that ‘this production has been made possible by the combined efforts of all of the members of the Stage Craft Club and the assistance of the Marsh Street Youth Drama Club’
- Emma – Jill Cooper
- Miss Lush – The Governess – Hazel Bassett/Dorthy Austin (shared performances?)
- Jeremy – John Payne
- Harriett – Margaret Whitehall
- Grandmother – Diane Tarling
- Pearson – The Butler – Peter Boulton
- Bannister – Mary Coleman
- A Maid – Karen Halpern
- Gypsey Man – Gary Francis
- Gypsey Woman – Andrea Selwyn
- The Gale Bird – Barry Elliot
- King North Wind – Geoffrey Gabriel
- Queen South Wind – Margaret Mead
- Prince East Wind – Christine Clements
- Princess West Wind – Iris Sangster
- Moonbeam – Jennifer Lepley
- Sunshine – Linda Lyons
- Miranda – The Sea Witch – Iris Suffolk
- Black Thunder Cloud – Denis Heath
- 1st Lightning – Robert Golding
- 2nd Lightning – Graham Lewis
- Breezes – Linda Rolley, June Weymouth, Janet Sutton & Janet Hards.
- Tides – Jean Simmons, Joyce Simmons & Mary Coleman.
Stage Management, Sets, Lighting, Costume & Make Up
- Florence Sleath, Richard Dunn, Michael Everett, Judith Riches, Ruth Brownutt, Janet Grace
- Richard Dunn
Produced by Cyril Malyon